Over the next 555 days, I WILL complete the following 55 items. It started on Feb. 20, 2012 and expired Aug. 28, 2013. (my new list)
* carry-over items from my original 101 List.
++ Accomplished after list expired
1. Get shoes shined
When I was stuck in the St. Louis airport with my 2-year-old son, I decided to go for it. My Red Wings never looked so shiny.
2. Appreciate sunrise & sunset in same day
Highlight of “Live the List Weekend” February 16-17, 2013.
Blog Excerpt: “It was a magical spectacle of colors as the sun hit the calm water and motionless trees. I sat there sipping my coffee and asking myself: “What does it really mean to ‘appreciate’ something?” (complete blog post)
3. Ride a horse
4. Shave my head
When we did a trial run of living in the country – I decided to go for it!
5. Teach a continuing education class 6. Eat Lobster
We didn’t just eat lobster – we cooked it, too.
For some reason, I had never eaten lobster. I think it’s because I tried to order it as a kid and my mom said: “Lobster is ONLY for a special occasion.” I’d been gun-shy ever since.
7. Get a straight-edge razor shave
Excerpt from blog post that I wrote about this wonderfully great experience:
As the third hot towel was wrapped around my face, my mind started to wonder. I asked myself rhetorical questions as my skin started to soften and my pores were opening up:
Q: “Why haven’t I done this before?”
Q: “Why hasn’t everyone done this before?”
8. Write a letter to the editor* 9. Ride on a motorcycle 10. Ride on a float in parade*
I had visions of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off when I added this to my list, but I figured it would be me…in a trailer…in Glen Rose, Texas….IT WAS!
11. Buy a real Christmas tree
Christmas 2012: The fact we chunked our artificial tree in 2011 made this one pretty easy.
12. Plant a garden
Part of “Live the List Weekend” February 16-17, 2013. My dad and I planted turnips, strawberries and spinach over the course of the weekend.
13. Have water balloon fight 14. See a drive-in movie 15. Attend a pancake supper
It wasn’t exactly a “supper” BUT it was held at a community center and I ate pancakes and sausage links that some random philanthropist prepared and served on a styrofoam plate.
16. See 10 movies by myself
DEFINING AN ADVENTURE (includes travel)
17. Ride in a hot air balloon++
Mark it off: August 9, 2014
Blog excerpt: As soon as the basket lifts off the ground, adrenaline rushes to your brain and your breathing pattern immediately changes. All of your senses know that you’re in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. (read entire post here)
18. Visit 5 National Parks (2/5)
• Rocky Mountain National Park (July 2012)
• Hot Springs National Park (March 2013)
19. Summit a “Fourteener” 20. Go on a cruise++
21. Throw a dart at a map & go where it lands
22. Watch Rangers play in 6 different ballparks (1/6)
– April 14, 2012: Rangers at Minnesota
On March 18, 2013, Team Myers traveled to Surprise, Arizona, to watch my beloved Texas Rangers get it on in the desert.
24. Sky dive++
Mark it off: March 7, 2014 (the day my third life list expired)
25. Go fly fishing*
26. Play paintball*
Staring down the barrel of my 555-day deadline, I talked my brother-in-law into getting it on with a little paint and CO2. I received a text the next day from brother-in-law: “Very memorable…more importantly it/you sold me on the idea of making a list.”
– – –
MY SPIRITUAL LIFE
27. Go on a mission trip 28. Disciple someone
I started discipling another brother in Christ in November 2012 through Ministry Catalysts, which launches Christ-centered multipliers into their unique spheres of influence.
29. Invite 6 people to go to church with us (2/6)
– Cousin Ashley and her husband, Michael
– – –
30. Take Crash camping++
Six amazing words from my son: “I like camping with you, daddy.
31. Live in a different city for 1 month
32. Have a second child
Ily Anabelle Myers was born on July 26, 2013.
Here is a blog post about her nightmarish birth.
33. Be debt free
34. Paint our house 35. Host a game night
This was a little bit of a stretch for “game night,” but after everyone turned in Saturday night of my “Live the List Weekend,” I played a couple rounds of “Cooter” with my friend Kimbra and her 10-year-old son, Griffin.
– – –
36. Submit a book proposal 37. Get real estate license
Passed my state and national exam on Aug. 16, 2012
– – –
TRYING TO LOOK GOOD NAKED
38. Complete P90x
I’ve only started five times and never made it more than two weeks. #fail
39. Break 4 hours in Marathon++
My Facebook message after running The Army Marathon in Killeen on March 2, 2014: Here are the highlights: Wind chill dropped to 22 degrees, there was light drizzle throughout, winds whipped up to 20 MPH (including last 3/4 mile in my face). It was a bad day to run…SO, I decided to go ahead and wreck it. I finished 3:57.46 (in my last marathon ever).
40. Take a martial arts class
My brother-in-law and I took one free Krav Maga class. Does that count? Probably not, huh?
41. Run for 600 straight days (at least 1 mile)
I started this streak before making this list, but accomplished it on Sept. 30. AND still going!
– – –
TRYING TO GET BETTER
42. Read 10 books (4/10)
– The Traveler’s Gift by Andy Andrews
– Beyond Belief by Josh Hamilton and Tim Keown
43. Take a photography class
44. Take guitar lessons
45. Meet Steve Farber
Reminder: I dedicated the name of my blog to his incredible concept of love-inspired audacity.
– – –
GOING TO NEED A LITTLE HELP/LUCK
46. Win a contest
47. Watch “Braveheart” on the big screen
– – –
LIVE THE LIST
48. Help 25 people mark something off THEIR life list (6/25)
49. Inspire someone else to do a 55/555 list
50. Help Josh Hamilton mark something off his bucket list – REMOVED
This task was removed when Josh broke my Ranger-loving heart and signed a new multi-year contract with the rival Angels. TRADER!
– – –
CATEGORY ALL ITS OWN
54. Take my Little Brother Anthony to visit 4 universities (0/4)
55. Six weeks of Craig’s List
EXPLANATION: Sell six things on Craig’s List over the course of six weeks.