I Want YOU to Name My Daughter

Defining Audacity

We’re back in the business of naming a baby.

My wife and I are expecting our second child in August, and now that we know Baby No. 2 is lacking a penis – we’ve started the ever-important process of picking a name.

While naming a child can be a little stressful – JUST WAIT! We’re taking this to another level. This time around, picking a name is going to easy and complicated at the exact same time!

The easy part…

Before our son, Crash, was born – we had a name picked out for a girl, too. It was a heartfelt and meaningful name that we instantly fell in love with.

We’ve decided to name our daughter: Ily (pronounced eye-lee).

In a previous blog post, I shared the greatness behind this name:

Every time my mom closes a letter, e-mail or text message, she writes “ILY” for I love you.

“Call your grandmother. ILY, Mom”

“Dinner Thursday night? ILY, Mom”

“I need computer help! ILY, Mom”

The name was perfect! Three simple letters but very powerful in so many ways.

TK and I are thrilled that God blessed us with another child, but we’re also excited that we get an opportunity to use this name, which carries so much significance for us.

So…with our daughter’s first name taken care of – we’ve shifted gears to the middle name.

The complicated part…

We are going to raffle off our little girl’s middle name.

Yept…you read that correctly!

For $25 ANYONE can buy a raffle ticket, and if their ticket is pulled in a random drawing, they will get the opportunity to fill in this blank: Ily  ________ Myers

YIKES?!?!?!?

Surely, anyone readying this post is asking: “Why would you do that?” (An alternative response is the slow headshake, which I’ve received from family and friends after they first hear about this out-of-the-box idea.)

Our simple answer: We want to use this opportunity as a way to express our gratitude to God and give back at the same time.

We will donate EVERY cent raised to a local pregnancy center – a Christian-based organization that puts an emphasis on a child’s life.

– – –

When we discovered that we were having another child, we had given up hope of getting pregnant again. We had gone through several rounds of fertility treatments, and we had accepted that God had other plans for our family.

We had even re-started serious discussions about the adoption process – just like we did before we found out TK was pregnant with Crasher.

One Sunday night, as I watched some randomness on TV, my wife walked into the living room with a strange look on her face.

“I thought you were getting in the shower,” I said, breaking my gaze from the television. I can’t begin to explain my tone, but for some reason I was a little confused. It might have been the look on TK’s face or the peculiar way she was shielding her right hand.

“Ummmmm….I’m late – so I took this….”

She showed me the positive home pregnancy test.

I responded in a fun-loving way: “Whose is it?”

We were both in shock, but we quickly put up our guards. We’d been in this exact situation several times before – left broken hearted after a complication or a false-positive test.

The “hold your breath” moment has passed and here is a quick update:

• Tanya IS pregnant;

• Baby is healthy;

• TK is due in August,

• There is no penis.

Again, we are beyond grateful for this blessing.

That’s why we want to use this opportunity to raise funds for other families that cannot conceive a child. Throughout this process – the miscarriages, the molar pregnancy – we have a new appreciation for the life of an unborn child.

If you feel inclined to make this political – DO IT! But please know that we’re simply saying thank you to God in a unique way.

So without further ado…here are the rules to the Name Our Daughter Raffle:

– Raffle tickets are $25 a piece (no limit on the number of tickets you can purchase);

– One winner will be selected on July 1, 2013;

– ALL proceeds will be donated to the Fort Worth Pregnancy Center;

– TK and I have first right of refusal on any name – this is simply to ensure that no one names our daughter Ily Hotdog Myers. If we use our right of refusal, the raffle winner will get the opportunity to submit another name;

– We want there to be a story behind the name – it doesn’t have to be an elaborate yarn, but we’d love the name to have meaning behind it;

– The middle name cannot start with the letter “B” – we’re trying to avoid ridicule with the initials “IBM.” (And we’re being proactive if she marries someone with the last name Smith or Stephens.)

– Allow us to share that story on my blog.

That’s it!

Pretty crazy, huh?!?!?!?

We hope that you understand why we are doing this and embrace the emphasis we are putting on life. If you get the opportunity to give our daughter her middle name…BONUS!

To enter the raffle, simply click here and fill out the form. After you hit “Submit”, you will be re-directed to a new page to make your donation.

Thank you in advance for all your love, prayers and support.

Now…let’s give my daughter a name!

ENTER HERE: NAME OUR DAUGHTER RAFFLE

The Disclaimer: All proceeds will be donated to Fort Worth Pregnancy Center, but the organization is not involved in this campaign in ANY capacity.

, , , ,

24 Comments on “I Want YOU to Name My Daughter”

1. Arlene
    March 5, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

First refusal and then you accept the next name or keep refusing till you like my name?

• Drew Myers
      March 7, 2013 at 12:04 am #

We’ll give you chance to redeem yourself.

• Ily Ducello
        November 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

lol….just found this article….my REAL name is ILY too…..i was trying to find other people with the name …meaning the same thing……..That name is AWESOME…..i have come to find that my name has molded me into a sweet, loving person…..im sure your daughter will be the same….!!

2. Emily Marie Parker Roth
    March 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

ILY Levana Meyers

3. Emily Marie Parker Roth
    March 6, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

ILY ADARA MEYERS

4. Derek
    March 6, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Daylee

5. Emily Marie Parker Roth
    March 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

ILY Damali MEYERS IT MEAN BEAUTIFUL VISION

6. brittany mease
    March 6, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

My daughters name is “Ily Rae Mease” — She was born in October 2012. I also refused “IBM? as initials! Small world!

• Drew Myers
      March 7, 2013 at 12:01 am #

That is CRAZY (and awesome at the same time). Why did you guys pick Ily? Just curious. Thank you for sharing.

7. Lois Marsh
    March 6, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

I can not afford to enter since I am on unemployment but if I could I would enter “Whispers”… cause ILY Whispers are the best ones.

8. JRL
    March 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

What an amazing thing for you to do…and quite a leap of faith in your fellow man :). May God continue to bless your family.

9. Kelli Kennedy
    March 6, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

I believe we all dream of finding that ever elusive one and only person that we can say those three “little” words to, for they mean so much. So I had to ask myself, what or better yet how could you add to the most sought after three little words in the world and the only thing I could think of and what would easily or should be the most obvious is to add to little Ily’s name would be “Forever”… After all isn’t that what we all want … to love and be loved FOREVER!!!

10. Orangey
    March 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

Drew, I like the idea of raising money for charity, that’s very noble. Congratulations, also, on the pregnancy. It sounds like a difficult road you’ve been on.

I would enter, but I don’t think you should make the naming of your daughter political. I don’t doubt the chosen clinic that helped you is wonderful, but it being a Christian organisation is intentionally excluding everybody who isn’t Christian.

Good luck. I can’t wait to find out Ily’s middle name!

• Nikki Caldwell
      March 8, 2013 at 2:48 am #

I think this is a great idea but I can’t afford to enter the drawing…this beautiful story moved me. I am getting ready to have surgery & while I am home recovering…funds are limited. I would go for Ily Nevaeh Myers.

11. Carlos E. Williams
    March 7, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

HANNAH FAY,Lela Mae,Deborah Ann, GracieMae,Anna Marie.My name is CARLOS E.WILLIAMS. I hope you may consider these names for your daughter.

12. Carlos E. Williams
    March 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

oh,I forgot Faith,Annie Ruth,Diane,Angel,Anjie orAngie,Linda Joy,Joyce Ann,Joyclynn, Katrina,Marlynn Ren’ee.

13. Drew Myers
    March 7, 2013 at 12:03 am #

You guys are awesome! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You have NO idea how much we appreciate you spreading the word about our initiative. DM

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Fort Worth Couple Raffling Off Their Unborn Daughter’s Middle Name | FrontBurner - March 6, 2013

[...] Fort Worth real estate agent Drew Myers and his wife already have the first name of their daughter picked out. Ily will come into the world in August, with an abbreviation for a name: Ily = I Love You. Problem is, they don’t have a middle name for their daughter. That’s where you come in. [...]

2. Bag of Randomness | BagOfNothing.com - March 7, 2013

[...] $25, you can win a raffle to provide the middle name of a little girl.  Why would someone do this?  Our simple answer: We want to use this opportunity as a way to [...]

3. Ily Bieber Myers? It Could Happen | Defining Audacity - March 7, 2013

[...] been searching for the just the right adjective to describe the last 48 hours since publishing “I Want YOU to Name My Daughter.” I’ve narrowed it down [...]